This section of our website is a resource for all Newmarket
Hydro customers that provides details of Newmarket Hydro’s
Conservation program. Steps you can take to lower your hydro bill
and all material pertaining to the Conserve program are available through this website.
- Set air conditioners to 26 degrees or higher
– for every degree you raise the temperature you save as much
as 5 per cent in energy costs.
- Keep your curtains or blinds closed to keep your room cooler.
- Hang your clothes to dry – not using your dryer saves
a lot of energy.
- Use fans to cool down a room as an alternative to air conditioning.
- Turn off lights, TVs and other appliances
when they are not needed.
- Wash laundry in cold water. This does just as good a job,
keeps your colours bright, and saves lots of energy.
- Take short showers instead of baths. A five-minute shower
uses about half as much water as a bath.
- Replace incandescent bulbs with energy-efficient compact
fluorescents, which are four times more efficient and last about
eight times as long.
- You can also control the intensity of your incandescent
bulbs with dimmer switches to save money. A bulb dimmed by 25 per
cent uses 10 per cent less energy.
- Using a low-flow shower head can save up to 15 per cent
of hot water costs; aerators on your sink faucets can reduce water
use by about 10 per cent.
- Use small appliances such as a microwave, slow cooker,
electric kettle or toaster oven instead of the stove.
- Take clothes out of the dryer and fold them while they
are still warm to prevent wrinkling; your iron uses a lot of energy.
- Shower and run your dishwasher, washer and dryer early
in the morning or late at night.